The Forest Legality Alliance partnered with the Rede Amigos da Amazônia, Fundação Getulio Vargas and WWF-Brasil and hosted an event to discuss the international & domestic demand for legal forest products, and existing and emerging wood supply-chain control systems and technologies in Brazil and other Amazon-basin countries. The event was held in Belem, Brazil.
To learn more about the event, please read the webstory, "Leveling the Playing Field for Legal Timber in Brazil".
Target audience: private sector actors, trade associations, relevant Brazilian government agencies, NGOs, and academia.
September 25th, 2013
9:30 – 12:00 : Legality Requirements in the Market Place. Part I: International Markets demand for legal timber
- Moderator: Ruth Nogueron, WRI
- Europe: The European Union Timber Regulation and the FLEGT Plan (EC representative)
- Lacey Act Amendments of 2008: Exercising Due Care to Ensure Compliance (Emendas à Lei Lacey – 2008: Exercendo o Devido Cuidado para Assegurar seu Cumprimento) - Tom Swegle, U.S. Department of Justice
- Perspectives from a U.S. private sector buyer - Brett Ellis, Sabra International
- The Impact of Legality Regulations in China (O Impacto dos Regulamentos da Legalidade na China) - Dr. Xu Bing, Associate Professor of Chinese Academy of Forestry
- Brazilian Experience in the international timber trade - Guilherme Carvalho, Executive Director, AIMEX)
13:30 – 14:30 : Legality Requirements in the Market Place. Part II: Domestic Markets demand for legal timber
- Moderator: Ricardo Russo, WWF
- Sao Paulo public procurement policy - Cassia Callegari, CadMadeira
- Ricardo Russo - WWF-Brasil
- Support the demand for responsible timber in Amazon - Xavier Andrillon, The Tropical Forest Trust
14:30 – 16:00 : Supply-chain Management and Monitoring Technologies
- Moderator: José Humberto Chaves (Brazilian Forest Service)
- Experiences from the development of the National Forest and Wildlife Information System in Perú (Experiênicas obtidas no desenvolvimento do Sistema Nacional de Informação da Floresta e da Vida Selvagem no Peru) - Rafael Ramirez
- Forest Monitoring- SADD & Global Forest Watch 2.0 (Vigilância Florestal Global 2.0) - Imazon/WRI
- DNA supply-chain tracing in Brazil & Peru - Alexandre Sebbenn
- Flavio Macedo (Sisflora)