San Francisco, California
DEMO SITE OVERVIEW: MAYA BIOSPHERE RESERVE (Session 3)
Join us this September to discuss the current capacity needs for detecting and preventing illegal logging and the present and future of "perimeter defense" technologies. This meeting will facilitate dialogue between users and technology providers to scale up effective application of new innovations in the field.
The main event will be held at the California Academy of Sciences on Wednesday, September 16th, followed by an “un-conference” on Friday, September 18th, where participants can continue discussions on topics of their choice.
This event will be held alongside the Conservation Drones Summit, hosted by the California Academy of Sciences, on Thursday, September 17.
Register here to join us for this exciting event! Stay tuned for more information.
We hope to see you there!
This meeting is hosted with the support of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
September 16th, 2015
9:30-10:00 : Session 1: State of illegal logging detection and prevention
- Greenwood in Honduras: Community Forest Management and Sustainable Forest Enterprise - Scott Landis, Greenwood
- Tecnologías Innovadoras para Detectary Prevenir la Tala Ilegal.Estado de prevención y detección de tala ilegal - Fermin Chimatani, ECA
- Initiatives to prevent and detect illegal logging in the Protected Areas with Main Focus on the Maya Biosphere Reserve, Guatemala - Adalberto Lopez, Guatemala Agency for Protected Areas (CONAP)
- Current barriers to effective detection and prevention of illegal logging: the experience of Cameroon - Roger Ngoufo, Cameroon Environmental Watch
10:30-noon : Session 2: State of perimeter defense technology
- Conservation and Perimeter Defense 101 - Nir Tenenbaum, Wildeas
- Gregor MacLennan, Digital Democracy
- Catching poachers before they kill: Trailguard and AmbushCam - Nathan Hahn, RESOLVE
- Dan Lopez, Urthecast
- Topher White, Rainforest Connection
- Anjali Nayar, TIMBY
1:00-2:30 : Session 3: Applying technology to a demo site
- Maya Biosphere Reserve Demo - Adalberto Lopez, Victor Ramos, Guatemala Agency for Protected Areas (CONAP)
3:00-4:30 : Session 4: Information platforms
- Global Forest Watch: Leveraging big data and key partnerships to defend forests - Alyssa Barrett, World Resources Institute
- Developing data applications to support forest and wildlife management in Peru - Rolando Navarro, Peru Agency for Supervision of Forest Resources and Wildlife (OSINFOR)
- Thomas Snitch, University of Maryland
- No forest is an island: collaborative forest monitoring (Moabi) - Leo Bottrill, Moabi